Tuchel on life away from football and key priniciples learnt as a manager

We all know about the footballing philosophy of Thomas Tuchel, but what about Tuchel the man. In an interview given by Tuchel he explains what he likes to do during his day off and explains the key factors which drive his decision making in both life and in work. 

Tuchel yesterday at his first Chelsea Media Press Conference 


If you read about the background of Thomas Tuchel you will immediately find reports on an obsession with football which has lasted for a lifetime going back to his days growing up in the small Bavarian town of Krumbach.

Tuchel said 'during my childhood it was all about football, football, football , but it was also a normal life. Tuchel also had a love for Tennis and handball literally any sport which involved a ball. but it was the sport of football in which he excelled , and it is football which his life has revolved around ever since he entered adulthood. 

His playing career came to an end through injury, Tuchel entered management earlier than most and rose quickly through the ranks taking charge of Mainz in 2009 and since then has not looked back. 

Tuchel explained 'I learned on the job, having become a manager for more than a decade now understand you need to also have time off' who for obvious reasons has been unable to take much time off since landing in London on Tuesday. 

Tuchel then said 'you need to at some point switch your brain off . You cannot overthink everything and not everything is in your control. Football is a game where mistakes happen, where things often happen by accident. This is something you have to accept.

'To put this into perspective I'm not the type of individual who thinks I can treat a player better than a physiotherapist, who thinks he can organise the kit better than the kit man, or be able to drive a bus better than the bus driver. I'm not that type of person. I'm the guy for the dressing room, for the tactics, and to bring the players into a positive mood so they are able to be competitive. 

I'm more than happy to leave everyone to deal with their own responsibilities. I enjoy working in a nice environment where it is possible to work and be friendly, and not confuse this with being competitive and focused. It is my responsibility as head coach to follow these principles.

Tuchel's departure from PSG and indeed his time ending at Borussia Dortmund , have been down to disagreements with the hierarchies at both clubs. Tuchel says this is one area of his character he is working on, and he believes that the set-up at Chelsea will help to smoothen the decision-making process.

Explaining the disagreement with the board at PSG Tuchel stated 'It was purely of passion , along with some principles that your word is your word, I trust the words of a man. I rely solely on words.

'What I like about myself now is that I am more self-aware. This is a thing I have to improve and learn to relax more and maybe not be to stubborn in my values and beliefs. The structure which I find here at Chelsea is very clear and easy to understand as there are not many people making the decisions. 

The responsibility is now on me as the head coach to adapt as well as providing my opinion in a clear manner, give a detailed analysis of what I see, what my feelings are, and where there is room for improvement. 

The question to be asked here is at what of the time when he is able to switch his brain off from football? severe Covid-19 restrictions mean that like the rest of us he is limited in what he is able to do right now, but this has not stopped him from picturing a perfect day out in London.

What asked about this Tuchel's response was 'I would possibly go for a walk, and then maybe dine out in a little café, then go to a bookstore and read a good book and then have dinner. Who knows maybe the next free day will be in 2022 so maybe it will be a possibility then, we will see!

'In my current personal situation I would prefer to return home to see my family . I love being around my family. That for me would be the perfect day right now, but like everybody else we have to accept the rules and the current situation we find ourselves in. 

For more articles on news relating to Chelsea football club please visit my twitter account @followchelsea 

Link - Follow Chelsea (@FollowChelsea4) / Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuchel's first impressions of Mason Mount and Billy Gilmour

Chelsea line up to face Manchester United

Reaction from Tuchel on what Chelsea need to do in order to score more plus explains why Hudson-Odoi was taken off