Thomas Tuchel's thoughts on 0-0 draw with Wolves

Thomas Tuchel was impressed with Chelsea's Intensity and Courage in the draw against Wolves

German head coach Thomas Tuchel had to settle for a 0-0 draw against Wolves in his first game in charge of Chelsea, however the German saw plenty of promising signs to build on after only having one day to work with his players in preparation for the game. 

Tuchel was appointed Chelsea head coach exactly 24 hours before Chelsea were due to play Wolves at Stamford Bridge meaning preparations were very limited. 

There will no doubt be an element of frustration amongst the players with not being able to take three points from a game dominated by Chelsea from start to finish, instead having to be content with a 0-0 draw despite coming so close to winning the game with the last kick. 

However Tuchel was very impressed with how much of his message and preferred style of play had been taken on board by the team in a short space of time, ensuring he has a solid base to work on moving forwards.

Tuchel said 'I walked into the dressing room and informed everyone there are no rooms for disappointment now. 'There is not room for doubt he said. However, I was very impressed with the performance energy-wise with our intensity. I believe we had 16 recoveries in the final third. We were very structured and did not allow any dangerous counter-attacks against a team we know who are dangerous when playing on the counter. 

I thought we were very well organised, brave, played with courage and played really well as a team both offensively and defensively . with excellent input from the players who came off the bench as well as a good attitude from those players who remained on the bench I saw good spirit from the team.

It's a shame that we are not able to play in front of our own supporters. I think they would have helped as the 12th man through all of the half chances we created. to be able to create possibly one crucial goal which opens up the spaces a bit more. It was hard work however, we never lost our intensity and for that reason I am happy. If this is where our starting point begins I am looking forward to seeing where we end up Tuchel stated. 

Tuchel delighted with how quickly players and staff have taken to his ideas 



Tuchel said ' I found a group who yesterday were totally open to the suggestions to our ideas, our values as well as our tactical approach, areas in which we want to speed up the game, where want to close down in spaces and our approach in defending and attacking as a team. He went onto further add 'this has made me extremely happy because as a manager this is something that you wish for. From now on this is the level we can now start working on the details in preparation for our game against Burnley. 

Looking at the game today I am actually amazed because I am able to identify with what we did here. I would have loved to seen the stadium packed with fans as they would have enjoyed what they saw from us. We applied our game completely in our opponents half, close the counter attacks down early and created lots of half chances. 

'I am very grateful the staff at Cobham who provided me with a lot of information, they did an amazing job in analysing Wolves and assisted in preparation for lets say set pieces for example for our team. We had a clear plan where to put the players and start with 3 at the back to help our players to defend against their two quick strikers so we do not put ourselves in a situation where we either slipup or let them get away on the counter attack.'

We therefore decided to opt for that control, three on two on the pitch with a double-six and from there onwards we tried to find space to accelerate in and where to defend and close the space down. Overall I was very impressed with what I saw.

I have found a team who is totally open to new ideas and suggestions. Moving forward what I would like to do during my time at Chelsea is to select formations which will make the team play well on the pitch. With a team like the one I have there is nothing more which I could possibly have asked for. 

Tuchel helped a lot having worked with Christian Pulisic and Thiago Silva and knowing several players from their playing time in Germany


Tuchel was helped with the back that he had worked with Christian Pulisic at Borussia Dortmund and coached Thiago Silva during their time in France with PSG as well ask knowing Timo Werner, Kai Havertz and Antonio Rudiger during their playing stints in Germany. 

Tuchel said ' The most funny thing here is when you become a manager of team in the middle of the season and you already know some of the players such as Kai, Timo and Toni. Also I have always dreamt of having N'Golo Kante in my team and here he is. 

'All of a sudden you start to have a clearer picture as you are following the premier league all the time, even when I was coaching in Germany or France. So you have a clear picture in your mind as to the capability of the players. For instance to have someone like Cesar Azpiliqueta come into your office because you have that feeling of being a football fan since birth.

As for Christian I know him very well and know what he is capable of doing and I felt he had a huge input. I felt it unfair not starting him today. I told him the only reason for this was because I knew what he could bring coming of the bench as I was not sure what the other players could do from the bench. There is no doubt in my mind that he is an amazing player who can not only start for us but can also change the course of the game coming off the bench. He was amazing even at half time telling me that I had mispronounced Azpi's name which helped me out a lot. 





For more article on news relating to Chelsea football club please visit my twitter account @followchelsea Link - Follow Chelsea (@FollowChelsea4) / Twitter

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tuchel's first impressions of Mason Mount and Billy Gilmour

Chelsea line up to face Manchester United

Reaction from Tuchel on what Chelsea need to do in order to score more plus explains why Hudson-Odoi was taken off